CLICK HERE TO VIEW ALL JOB OPENINGS AT NOSSAMAN
What Sets Us Apart
Our expertise is focused in distinct areas of law and policy, as well as in specific industries. With a strong foundation in California, we have built nationally recognized practices in infrastructure, environment and real estate, healthcare, public pensions, government relations and corporate law.
Nossaman has been an industry-leader in California for 80 years. We know the land, the law, the courts and the lawmakers. We also know the issues, from congested highways and environmental conservation issues to scarce water supply and unique workforce regulations. Today, with attorneys and policy advisors across California, Texas, Washington state and Washington, DC, we help solve many of the complex challenges confronting public agencies and companies doing business in California and across the country.
For eighty years, Nossaman has been home to some of the brightest legal minds and most creative thinkers.
We have welcomed gifted policymakers who authored landmark legislation, talented dealmakers who have transformed landscapes and skylines alike, and skilled litigators who have helped establish lasting precedent.
We are proud to have been home to:
- two former members of the U.S. House of Representatives;
- a former U.S. Secretary of Agriculture;
- former majority and minority leaders of the California State Senate;
- a former Deputy Administrator of the Federal Railroad Administration;
- a former U.S. Attorney;
- a former U.S. District Court judge;
- a former Chairman of the Surface Transportation Board; and,
- a former mayor of Los Angeles.
Today, Nossaman attracts innovators from across the spectrum – from the sharpest legal minds to the savviest strategists.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
We strive to recruit and retain a diverse workforce. Unquestionably, diversity enhances our ability to serve clients and creates a more dynamic workplace for everyone. The diversity of our attorneys, policy advisors, paralegals and professional staff provides us with a rich blend of perspectives that translate into better solutions for our clients.
Amazing things grow in open and inclusive environments. One example of this is the formation and continued development of internal Affinity Groups. Created by attorneys and professional staff, these groups focus on LGBTQ+, Minority and Women’s issues. The Groups serve as a resource for mentoring, support, networking and professional development.
Our commitment to equal opportunity means that no one’s career will be limited in any way by race, color, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, nationality, age, disability, marital or parental status.
Recent recognition of our DEI efforts include:
- Vault’s 2023 “Best Midsize Law Firms to Work For” recognized Nossaman, for the fourth time, as one of the top midsize law firms for diversity
- Law360’s 2022 Diversity Snapshot recognized Nossaman as a top firm for minority attorneys (101-250 lawyers category)
- National Law Journal’s 2022 Women in Law Scorecard ranked Nossaman in the top third of law firms in the U.S. for women
- Nossaman was included in the National Law Journal’s 2022 LGBTQ Scorecard with 3.4% of attorneys self-identifying as LGBTQ
- Law360’s Glass Ceiling Report ranked Nossaman as one of the Top 10 firms for female equity partners (midsized law firm category)
“Do Good Things” is a simple but powerful message. It reflects our passion for our communities and explains our involvement and investment in organizations making life better for others.
It’s all too easy in this era of connectedness to become focused on cases, deals and projects around the clock. Anything worthwhile takes effort and we believe emphasizing community engagement is important to keeping us grounded. Whether it’s volunteering at a shelter, serving on an organization’s board or committee, raising awareness through a walk or supporting events that honor local leaders, Nossaman cares.
Follow our community engagement efforts on Twitter with #nossamancares.
Recent Client Successes:
- Obtaining Full Survivor’s Benefits for Class Action Member in Same-Sex Relationship Following Landmark Win – In 2022, we assisted a class member in recovering Social Security survivor’s benefits following the district court decision that the Social Security Administration violated the U.S. Constitution in denying survivor’s benefits to same-sex couples who were unable to marry under discriminatory state laws.
- Achieving a Trial Victory for Clean Water Rights – In 2022, after a challenging three-week federal court trial, we secured a $65 million jury verdict in favor of our public water agency client who had been involved in a 20-year legal battle with a polluter.
- A Deal is a Deal: Nossaman Succeeds in Upholding the Terms of a Contract – In 2022, following a lengthy discovery period involving dozens of depositions and expert discovery that took place against a backdrop of unique COVID-19 protocols, we filed a Motion for Judgment on the Pleadings to eliminate Sunfarms’ equitable claims and a Motion for Summary Judgment on Plaintiff’s contract claims. The Court granted both motions and entered judgment in Eurus’ favor on all of Plaintiffs’ claims.
CLICK HERE TO VIEW ALL JOB OPENINGS AT NOSSAMAN