About the Intellectual Property – Patent Prosecution Section
Mintz’s patent practice offers comprehensive strategic counseling in patent law and practice that enables our clients to clarify goals, find solutions, and achieve results throughout the innovation lifecycle. Our patent attorneys and agents advise clients on obtaining and enforcing patent protection, licensing or acquiring patent rights, executing financing and other business transactions, and navigating the patent landscape in their various industries.
Mintz is seeking a patent agent or associate with 2+ years of patent prosecution experience to join the life sciences patent team in Washington, DC or Boston. Applicants in New York will also be considered. This person will help to build and manage patent portfolios for life sciences start-ups and should have a research background relevant to immunotherapies, vaccines, gene therapies, and genomics technologies. Responsibilities include:
- Assessing invention disclosures for immunotherapies, vaccines, gene therapies, genomics technologies, and other life sciences inventions.
- Conducting freedom-to-operate and patentability reviews.
- Drafting and filing life sciences patent applications.
- Assisting with management of patent portfolios and independently conducting patent prosecution in the United States and through local agents in other jurisdictions worldwide.
Collaboration with team members is an important component of any role at Mintz. Therefore, the firm encourages working from the office approximately 60% of the time in accordance with the firm’s published guidelines.
- Ph.D. degree in Immunology, Structural Biology, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Genetics, related life sciences.
- USPTO or bar admission required and post-doc preferred.
- Knowledge of life sciences industry.
- A business mindset and a passion for development of cancer therapies and vaccines.
- At least two years of patent drafting and searching experience at a law firm.
- Experience in scientific and legal writing, including patent drafting.
- Experience with patent landscape searching and analysis.
- Ability to balance and prioritize competing responsibilities, stay organized, and exercise attention to detail.
- Ability to collaborate and work effectively in team settings.
All Mintz employees are required to be up to date with their COVID-19 vaccination unless they have a medical or religious basis precluding vaccination for which they are legally entitled to an exemption from the requirement that can be accommodated by the firm. Consistent with this requirement, prior to your start date you will be required to provide proof that you have received all recommended doses in the primary series and one booster when eligible. Generally, we consider an employee eligible for the booster if they completed the primary series of the vaccine at least six months ago and have not tested positive for COVID-19 in the prior 90 days. Getting a second booster is not necessary to be considered up to date at this time.
Mintz is an Am Law 100 law firm with over 500 attorneys serving clients worldwide. Our attorneys combine legal, business and industry insight to help navigate shifting challenges. We advise business leaders, entrepreneurs, and investors on pivotal deals, disputes, and regulatory matters within our core practice areas. We are strategically located to meet the needs of our clients, with offices in Boston, Los Angeles, New York, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington, DC, and London.
The salary range for this position is $90,000 to $190,000. This position is bonus eligible.
Mintz offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Note: Lateral Hub does not accept applications submitted by search firms.